5 Tips for Maximizing Your Dental Care Appointments
Taking great care of your oral health means keeping an open line of communication with your dental care team. You need to get the most out of every visit; after all, it’s your health and the look and feel of your teeth and gums that will benefit. Keep your dentist up to date with experiences that may have affected your oral health between visits. Ensuring that your dentist is appropriately updated will allow you to maximize your dental care and extend the health of your teeth and gums throughout your life. Use these tips to prepare for your next visit to the dentist:
1. Questions? Concerns?
Find an affordable dentist and make the most of your appointment. The better you communicate what is happening with your oral health, the better your dentist or hygienist can care for you. Write down any questions or concerns you have and take the list with you to the dentist. If you have experienced any of these concerns, make note and tell your dental care professional:
- Bleeding gums when you brush. Bleeding gums is an early sign of gum disease. Don’t neglect to tell your dentist—early treatment can save your teeth and gums.
- Tooth pain or sensitivity. Sensitive teeth are caused by exposed nerves, leading to uncomfortable sensations. Treatments are available to reduce discomfort or repair damaged teeth as needed. Tooth sensitivity is also a sign of cracked teeth, broken fillings, or cavities.
- Sores in your mouth that won’t heal. One of the first signs of oral cancer is a mouth sore that doesn’t heal. Early detection is the surest way to get effective treatment and protect your health.
- Issues with flossing or brushing. Broken teeth, sensitive gums, leaky fillings, and even arthritis can affect your ability to properly care for your teeth. If you are experiencing difficulty with basic dental care, such as brushing and flossing, tell your dentist. Your dental care team can offer solutions.
- Grinding your teeth or clenching your jaw. Grinding your teeth or clenching your jaw is a habit typical to some people’s sleep patterns. It can cause the protective enamel of the teeth to wear down, leading to long-term damage. Talk to your dentist if you grind your teeth or clench your jaw—there are solutions.
2. Your Medical History
Make sure your dentist is aware of past and present health conditions and any disease that you may be struggling with, since many diseases can impact your oral health.
3. Medications, Vitamins, and Supplements
Certain medications, vitamins, and supplements can have side effects that may impact your dental care. Make a list of all your medications, vitamins and supplements—prescriptions and over-the-counter—so your dentist can help you adjust your dental care plan to suit your needs.
4. Budget for Dental Care
You found an affordable dentist, but when the budget gets tight, you still may be tempted to skip a visit or two. Skipping dental care visits is not the best way to save money on your dental care. Instead, talk your dental team about affordable dental options and payment plans that may be available.
5. Improve your Dental Care
There is always room for improvement. Ask your dentist about what you can do to better care for your dental health between visits.
To get the dental care you deserve from an affordable dentist in Haverford, call Gentle Dental of Haverford today at (610) 572-1248 or make an appointment.
Gentle Dental offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Haverford. With 14 affiliated practices in the Greater Philadelphia area, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Gentle Dental of Haverford, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Gentle Dental of Haverford.