Be Prepared for Your Next Dental Emergency
When a dental emergency occurs, knowing what to do can save your tooth and prevent complications. Getting emergency dental care promptly is always important, but how you handle the problem within the few minutes of a dental crisis is critical. Below are some of the most common dental emergencies and how they are best handled? In all cases, seek help from an emergency dentist as soon as possible. If one is not available, or if you have a serious condition involving head trauma or uncontrollable bleeding, head to your local hospital emergency room.
- Rinse with warm water.
- Floss to remove foreign objects between teeth.
- Do not chew aspirin or place it on your tooth.
- Contact your dentist if pain persists.
- Try to replace the tooth in its socket.
- If you can’t, place it between your gums and cheek or in milk.
- Seek emergency dental care immediately.
- Rinse immediately with warm water.
- Use a cold compress to reduce and prevent swelling.
- Visit your dentist as soon as possible.
Foreign Object Stuck in Tooth
- Try to remove the object with dental floss, but never use a sharp instrument.
- See your dentist, or visit an emergency room immediately if it impedes normal function.
Tongue or Lip Bite
- Clean the area around the wound with warm water.
- Apply a cold compress to reduce swelling.
- Apply pressure to reduce bleeding.
- For large bites or heavy bleeding, contact your dentist or go to an emergency room.
To help prevent a dental emergency, never use your teeth to open or cut non-food objects, wear a mouth guard during sports activities, and refrain from chewing hard objects such as popcorn kernels, hard candies, and ice.
To get the dental care you deserve from an affordable dentist in Haverford, call Gentle Dental of Haverford today at (610) 572-1248 or make an appointment.
Gentle Dental offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Haverford. With 14 affiliated practices in the Greater Philadelphia area, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Gentle Dental of Haverford, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Gentle Dental of Haverford.