Is Tooth Discoloration Eating away at You?
Hungry to know why your teeth are stained? The answer may be right on your plate. Learn which foods and drinks may be darkening your smile and see the light on making teeth white.
Chew over the Choices that Cause Discoloration of Teeth
For many people, tooth discoloration is caused by their meals and snacks. The darker the foods and drinks you consume, the darker your teeth may become since they come directly in contact with the surface of your teeth. If you’re trying to avoid stained teeth, work on staying away from these foods and drinks:
- Red and white wine
- Colas and sports drinks
- Grape, cranberry, mixed berry, and other dark juices
- Dark-colored berries and fruits, such as blueberries, blackberries, and cherries
- Dark vegetables like beets
- Acidic sauces, such as tomato and soy
Eat Dark but Stay Light
While avoiding dark foods and drinks is one way to prevent stained teeth, some of those choices contain key nutrients and are also loved by many. So, if you don’t want to give them up, at least curb your intake and follow these steps after consuming them to reduce your risk of stains:
- Sip dark-colored drinks with a straw to reduce their contact with teeth.
- Brush, floss, and use a mouth rinse daily to remove the plaque that retains stains and leads to tooth discoloration.
- Always brush your teeth or rinse your mouth after consuming dark foods and drinks to decrease their staining power.
- Stay away from tobacco, which is a leading cause of the discoloration of teeth.
- Have regular professional cleanings to remove built-up stains.
Get a Taste of the Treatments for Stained Teeth
Fed up with your stained teeth? Fortunately, you have many ways to whiten today. Talk your dentist about the best treatment for your needs and level of staining. The most frequently used methods include:
- Whitening toothpastes and mouth rinses can help keep your teeth white and reduce stains, but can leave teeth temporarily sensitive.
- Over-the-counter whitening kits can lighten and brighten, but may also lead to a sensitive smile.
- Professional tooth whitening by a dentist offers the most dramatic results in the shortest amount of time.
To get the dental care you deserve from an affordable dentist in Haverford, call Gentle Dental of Haverford today at (610) 572-1248 or make an appointment.
Gentle Dental offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Haverford. With 14 affiliated practices in the Greater Philadelphia area, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Gentle Dental of Haverford, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Gentle Dental of Haverford.