Surgery Basics – Procedures Performed by Oral Surgeons
If your dental condition requires advanced expertise, your family dentist may refer you to a dental surgeon. Oral surgeons are specialists who perform procedures such as dental implant placement and extraction of impacted teeth. They also treat oral cancers and a variety of other conditions involving the teeth, jaw, face and mouth. Dental surgeons may perform some surgeries in an office setting; in many cases, local anesthesia or conscious sedation are viable options. More advanced procedures may require general anesthesia and a brief hospital admission.
What Dental Surgeons Do
Some of the most common procedures performed by dental surgeons include:
- Cosmetic dental surgical procedures such as placement of veneers, implants, and crowns enhance the look of your smile. Crown lengthening and some types of gum surgery are also forms of cosmetic dentistry performed by oral surgeons.
- Dental implant surgery is an involved process that occurs in stages and can take the oral surgeon many months to complete. Implants replace missing teeth with natural-looking artificial ones. The specific details of the process vary based on the type of implants used and the condition of your jawbone.
- Corrective jaw surgery can resolve problems with your temporomandibular joint, correct your bite, and improve the fit of your dentures.
- Surgical removal of impacted teeth is necessary when teeth cannot emerge on their own from inside the jaw or gum tissue. Wisdom tooth impaction is extremely common.
- Correction of facial deformities such as cleft palate or lip, and treatment of injuries to the face, mouth, or jaw are also specialties of the oral surgeon.
What to Expect from Dental Surgery
Prior to your surgery date, consult your oral surgeon to learn what your procedure will involve and how to prepare for it. Points to discuss include the type of anesthesia that will be used, wound care, dental hygiene, diet, and activity restrictions. During your recovery, you may experience some discomfort or pain, swelling of the face or gums, minor bleeding, and jaw stiffness. If the symptoms get worse or persist longer than expected, contact your oral surgeon for advice. Follow all post-operative instructions for the best results.
To get the dental care you deserve from an affordable dentist in Haverford, call Gentle Dental of Haverford today at (610) 572-1248 or make an appointment.
Gentle Dental offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Haverford. With 14 affiliated practices in the Greater Philadelphia area, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Gentle Dental of Haverford, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Gentle Dental of Haverford.