The Reasons Behind Bad Breath
If your bad breath is scaring away your coworkers and ruining your social life despite your efforts to correct the problem, it may be time to for a family dentistry intervention. Good oral hygiene isn’t always enough to manage bad breath. Dental care professionals can help determine the underlying causes of severe halitosis. Here are a few of the most common.
Common Causes of Halitosis
- Dry mouth is a common cause of bad breath. When there isn’t enough saliva to remove food particles and oral bacteria, your mouth is likely to develop a bad odor. Use products intended to treat dry mouth, or consult your doctor or an affordable dentist for advice.
- Dental infections and decaying teeth may produce breath odor. Your dentist can recommend the best treatment to resolve underlying dental problems.
- Bad breath is virtually inevitable if you use tobacco in any form including cigarettes, cigars, snuff, and chewing tobacco. When you’re ready to give up the smokes, ask your doctor or dentist for support.
- Potent foods like cheese, garlic, and onions can cause temporary bad breath. While your body is still processing the foods, there is little you can do to stop the smell. Avoiding stinky foods is the only cure.
- A more serious cause of bad breath is an undiscovered infection or illness somewhere in the body. If your family dentistry practitioner doesn’t detect any oral problems, see your doctor to rule out possible medical reasons for your halitosis.
Why You May Need a Dentist
Brushing twice a day and flossing daily can resolve many mild cases of halitosis. However, if your bad breath is due to an oral infection or a dental problem, it won’t go away without medical attention. If you’re avoiding your check-up for financial reasons, or you don’t have dental insurance, find an affordable dentist and ask about payment options. Family dentistry professionals can treat tooth problems or prescribe an antimicrobial rinse to end your bad breath and restore your confidence.
To get the dental care you deserve from an affordable dentist in Haverford, call Gentle Dental of Haverford today at (610) 572-1248 or make an appointment.
Gentle Dental offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Haverford. With 14 affiliated practices in the Greater Philadelphia area, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Gentle Dental of Haverford, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Gentle Dental of Haverford.